Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Little T stands on his own

In an ironic twist on the whole physical therapy thing, Little T stood for the first time yesterday. He screamed with terror the whole time, but he stood for a good 20 seconds. C and I were so amazed we just stood there cheering.

Yesterday he also stood on tiptoes at home for the first time. He leaned on a stroller to look at Tovar, [info]smileycynic's baby.

A very kind and generous PT on my special needs parents list drove down to evaluate him. Today distracted with toys, he stood longer and without crying. Honestly he has made amazing progress in the past two weeks. It's like he heard he might have to have physical therapy again and decided to get a move on. She said he has all the skills he needs to learn to walk and he should learn to walk on his own. She said that if he doesn't learn to walk on his own in three months then to get him re-evaulated. That was great news. And I was so grateful to her for coming down and seeing him. That was incredibly nice of her.

So I'll meet with the CCS doctor tomorrow and be all nice. I'll see what he says. Because Little T may well make a fool out of me and stand there too. I'll be glad if he does well.

I still think something's wrong with his gross motor movement or balance and he will need help. Something about the naked fear in his eyes when he stood for the first time which I never saw in Special K's eyes. Sure she was scared, but not totally terrified. She was also thrilled to try new things. There's just something about the things he does sometimes that don't seem normal to me. The way sometimes he just slowly falls and doesn't catch himself at all. Other things that I can't name right now. Maybe he won't need help right now, but later. Maybe he has sensory issues or something. I don't know what his problem is. I just know he has a problem. I trust my gut on stuff, because it's never let me down and when I ignore it, bad stuff happens. So I'll be watching my boy.

No comments: