Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The kindness of strangers

Yesterday my husband and my two kids tried to go shopping but emerged with literally nothing after 3 stores. My healing broken toe throbbed, and I was starving. The kids were too cranky to be put back in the car, so I hobbled to a noodle place in the same mall. And I discovered I lost my purse. Horror.

I walked back to Target, but I was too worried to think about my toe. I wandered the circuitous route we had taken around Target. I could not find my purse. No one had turned it in.

I hobbled back to the noodle place to eat. I had ordered the wrong noodle dish. I was very sad. Everything was going wrong.

I had to try once more. So we drove to Target. I stood in the long Customer Service line. I felt forlorn, and lost too. I thought about how long it would take to replace my driver's license, credits cards, etc. Time I did not have. I felt very very tired.

Then like a miracle, I saw my purse sitting behind the counter. Thank you kind and honest person who returned my purse with everything inside!!!

I was too tired to cry "Praise be!" but I must have looked very relieved. The person behind the counter said "We paged you." in a kind voice. I believe in miracles and the kindness of strangers.

No comments: