Tuesday, June 07, 2005

I'm a lactivist

C send me this NY Time article about Lactivists Taking Their Cause, and Their Babies, to the Streets Sadly I don't currently breastfeed due to Little T's feeding issues. But I have breastfed Special K and Little T everywhere. You can't control when or where a baby's hungry. I never felt dirty or embarrassed breastfeeding. I've never received any comments or dirty looks or been asked to stop. Most of the time the world seemed oblivious to the fact that I was breastfeeding.

Maybe it's where I live. Maybe it's because my Burmese mother taught me that breastfeeding was normal and natural and I watched both of my siblings breastfeed. Or maybe it's because I'm half-British and so used to doing things discreetly. But I'm a lactivist, because I believe that women should be allowed to breastfeed in public.

One thing did bother me. The article states that some lactivists compare public breastfeeding to gays holding hands. Once when I held hands with a woman, I got a shocked look. So the reactions I've received personally are the same. And in some states both can put you in jail. However I've never heard of a woman being beaten up or had her life threatened for breastfeeding in public.

No comments: