Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Trader Joe's Peppermint Bark

I was also disappointed in Trader Joe's peppermint bark. I think I bought it before, and forgot it was disappointing. Now it's here in my blog, so I can read it again and save my money. Perhaps you can save yours. I paid $9.99 for 6 3x3" squares. Those are expensive squares. It comes in a big tin, so I guess that's part of where your money goes.

The white fudge tastes creamy and milky, but lacks any other particular flavour. That's okay. We're here for the chocolate. The dark fudge tastes rich velvety chocolate, made from decent chocolate liqueor. It's a good combination with the peppermint candy, which has a strong minty flavour. However for some reason the candy maker skimps on the peppermint candy, so it's quite unsatisfying as peppermint bark. It's actually just white-dark chocolate at a high price. I guess I could go and buy some peppermint candy, crush it and make it good, but at that price, it seems rather ridiculous.

I tried Ghiradelli peppermint bark at a party. The peppermint tasted strong and minty, but paled against the bland chocolate.

I know I bought peppermint bark somewhere and I loved it. It was expensive though, so I think I blocked it out of my mind. Where can I buy good peppermint bark? Why is it expensive?

C says I should blog about Trader Joe's food since I buy so much of it. Problem is that it changes all the time. But I do find that Trader Joe's food is very hit or miss. Some of their food is wonderful. And well, then there's the peppermint bark. Want to read more Trader Joe's food reviews? Tell me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

sure, I'd be eager to read TJ tips from you. for example, I love their chicken gyoza, but never had any luck with the veggie gyoza (unless they've changed the producer for that item). and sometimes you can get really good deals on imported cheeses. muuuh, cheeeeese...!

K. said...

I'd recommend this mint chocolate. I love it so much. It's minty crunchy and rich chocolatey. Yum!

http://www.lakechamplainchocolates.com/Products.aspx?pn_deptid=306

Anonymous said...

I love food reviews. My Trader Joe favorites? Chicken gyoza & veggie samosas. I also like their chocolate-almond biscotti.

Anonymous said...

We have a TJ here that the local girls rave about. I went in once after I found out that they're the only store that carries chocolate moussecake that Mimi's Cafe sells to people who know it's there. *sniff* they didn't carry it. I was so grief stricken I never went back in there. Tell me what's nasty there just in case.

Anonymous said...

I like the Williams Sonoma peppermint bark. But it's expensive, $22.50/box or 2 for $36. I usually buy two, keep one as a present to myself and gift the other one.

Anonymous said...

I just blogged about the TJ's peppermint bark today. It extremely mediocre. But there is some great stuff at Trader Joes...Fage yogurt, Cuban black beans, Granola and 3 Berries and they have great prices on nuts.