Friday, June 09, 2006

Bad mom bad knee

Last night I thought I had done something for sure that marked me as a bad mom and would mean my daughter would need therapy when she grew up. Through my stupidity I scuttled our trip to Disneyland this weekend.

Ironically her desire to play Disney games began the whole debacle. The laptop was on the coffee table and she needed help to get the game started. I knelt down to help her. My knee discovered not soft carpet, but a sharp pointing object that stabbed my kneecap. I slipped off this object and onto my daughter's foot, bruising her little toe. In one fell swoop I injured us both. While my injury appears to be mild, walking the few blocks downtown last night made it swell. I'm not up for the marathon amount of walking Disneyland entails. C could have gone in my stead, but sadly we discovered Special K's foot was injured too when she refused to walk downtown. C carried her on his shoulders. And yeah my daughter is more sensible than me since I should NOT have walked downtown last night.

Last night as I lay upstairs putting ice on my throbbing knee, I cursed my stupidity and my clumsiness. Special K has been asking about going to Disneyland for weeks. I wondered if Special K would ever forgive me. I wondered how I'd make it up to her.

But I have the sweetest most forgiving daughter. When she came into our room this morning, she gave me a big hug. She said "It's fine to go to Disneyland later." And I haven't heard a peep about going to Disneyland since then. She seems content to play Disney games on the computer instead. We're going to make the attempt again sometime in July.

No comments: