Friday, June 02, 2006

How do you see the world in your head?

asked do you visualize? If so, can you do the 3D image thing? If you're a writer, what happens in your head while you're writing? Are there pictures? Do you keep images in your mind when you write them? If you visualize, do you like poetry? What *kind* of poetry?

I thought the question was interesting enough to pass along. I also wondered Do you see the world the same way I do? Or are you visual, aural, or kinesthetic dominant like the textbooks say?

I don't think I'm visual dominant, aural dominant, etc. Those ways of viewing the world never made much sense to me. When I read a book, I read the words, and memories are formed. These aren't movies or songs or 3D or whatever anyone else has described. I read quickly, so I'm not consciously thinking about this. It's only later I realise I have these memories.

Memories are formed around emotions and feelings, events or characters. There's a single imprint of one or two impressions that form the memory. It could be a taste, touch, sight, sound, feeling, or words. Those are in sharp relief. Which one/s it is depends entirely on the context. With books, words are usually involved, but not always. Then the rest of the impressions are less well defined. Sometimes the sound is music I was listening to while I was reading the book...if I thought the music somehow matched the book. When I hear a particular song, I still remember a particular scene in a book I read as a teenager. Memories form chains. That book reminds me of a talk with my father related to that scene. Particular details stand out that are relevant to me and others fade away. I don't remember what my father or I wore, but I remember the cover of the book in detail and what my father and I said.

When I describe things in my writing, it's because that detail evokes a memory. And when I write, I'm thinking about that memory. Sometimes I decide the scene needs more detail, so I'll go back and explore more.

I used to read and write poetry when I was younger. Now I prefer the more total immersion of prose. Perhaps I'm just more impatient.

No comments: