Thursday, June 29, 2006

Some organic milk is factory farmed

I buy organic milk, because they give tons of hormones to non-organic milk cows to make them produce milk. The other day I learned from that some 'organic' cows are raised on "formula where a primary ingredient is blood byproduct." Eww! I don't want vampire cows, please. Sadly the qualifications for organic milk are fairly weak and the NY Times reported in November that organic milk is a cash cow. C says "it's the gateway drug that gets folks started on organic."

Now there's a Dairy Scorecard which rates organic dairy for the entire country.

If you live in California, Straus Family Creamery and Clover Stornetta are both rated 4 out of 5 cows. Organic Pastures is rated 5, but it sells raw milk, which I would never give to young children, and I've never seen it anyway.

Interestingly I do think the Straus Family milk tastes the best. But it's somewhat annoying as it's not homogenized. I didn't regularly buy Clover Stornetta, but now I'll look for it. I think organic milk tastes better in general. I can drink 1% organic milk. Non-organic milk, I need 2%.

No comments: