Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Little T's Broviac removal and Mic-key surgery

Poor C had to take Little T to the hospital at 6am for T's 7:30am surgery. Thanks to our nanny, I was able to have breakfast with K, then drive over to the hospital just in time to see T before he was sent off to surgergy. Our nanny dropped off K at preschool. The operation went well. The surgeon said there was no bleeding either removing the Broviac or putting in the Mic-key gastronomy tube. T took a long time to wake up, but when he finally did, he started crying loudly. This actually reassured me, because with the bad anesthesia experiences he's had, he just whimpers or worse just stares up at me, scared. It took some time to calm him down. Clearly he was hungry, because when I held him, he still cried, but Daddy was okay. Even though I'm no longer a source of food, he still expects me to feed him.

It took a while for us to get a room and it's very noisy next to the nurses' station and another crying baby, but hopefully we'll only be there 48 hours. T is quite fussy, because his stomach hurts from the stitches and because he's not allowed to have anything in it for 24 hours. Also the Broviac site hurts too. Unfortunately it all hurts badly enough that he needs morphine to deal with the pain. He's already tried pulling out the stitches, but fortunately they appear to be firmly sutured in. And it's good he's well enough to protest.

I have more to say about the day, including the fact that C gave blood for the first time in over a decade, but I'm really quite exhausted. Both C and I had trouble sleeping last night. And C had to set the alarm at 5am in order to get up. I didn't really get back to sleep after that. I would have gone with him, but I didn't want to wake Special K up at 5am.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear everything is going well! 24 hours?! Poor little guy! I'd be fussy too! Continued P&PT :)