Sunday, July 31, 2005

Special K climbs to the top & why I love 80's music

Special K climbed to the top bunk of her bunk bed and scared me half to death. I use the top bunk to store her outgrown clothes. So while she was up there, she also put on a dress and did it perfectly. Then she climbed back down. C had taken out the middle rung of the ladder to prevent her from climbing up. Well, that didn't work. So now he's going to put the rung in, so she's less likely to fall.

Yesterday Special K insisted on wearing her dress inside out and backwards to a friend's 40th birthday party. She also insisted on wearing her gum shoes. Her idea of a fashion statement looks like a ragamuffin to me. The host hired Tainted Love, a band that covers 80's music. Special K danced by jumping up and down. I danced with Little T. That was all fine and good with Special K, but when I wanted to dance by myself, she wasn't happy. I don't know why. I don't think my dancing is that bad. Maybe on some level, she knew that without Little T I was a little too free. And she wanted to make sure her mommy didn't run off.

Some of my best times in my childhood and teenagerhood were spent dancing to music. I particularly like New Wave music. I didn't really discover New Wave music until my frosh year in college when a friend gave me a handmade Depeche Mode tape. I loved it. I associate it with being wild and free. Even back then, I knew that though I had hard times, I wouldn't always be free to do whatever I wanted like I could in college. I traded freedom for responsibilities that I'm glad to have...most of the time.

Most rock songs celebrate an idealized youth, but 80's was in my youth. I like the silly mindless songs like "Tainted Love" and "She Blinded Me with Science." Yes, old Madonna songs appeal to me too. And that's what people play at parties. They don't play Pink Floyd. For me, music was a good fun escape. If I wanted angst as a youth, I listened to maybe a little Depeche Mode, but that was always with a tinge of irony. If I really wanted angst, I read a sad book. I still feel the same way. I do sometimes listen to songs on the radio and I like some new artists, but if you want to get me dancing for sure, put on some New Wave music. Do you love 80's music too? Tell me all about it. What music do you associate with your youth?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The band that's carried me through the most years is The Beatles. I started identifying and playing my father's Beatles albums when I was about 7. But, yes, Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, Culture Club, Adam Ant, Billy Idol, the Romantics, early Madonna - all of those remind me of junior high & high school.

Oh, nearly skipped a big one. I used to lie in bed at night when I was in junior high and listen to the Eurythmics. How could I forget "Here Comes the Rain Again"? I loved that song. I also listened to a lot of Talking Heads and, later in high school, Pink Floyd. I used to play "Obscured by Clouds" all the time. And I had an album by Aztec Camera that I loved. Did you ever listen to them?

I was eclectic, though, because Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, and Carly Simon were tucked in there, as well as George Winston, Billy Bragg, and lots of other people.

But whoever else came and when there was always the Beatles.

Thida said...

I've never heard of Aztec Camera. Please will you play them for me sometime?

"Here Comes The Rain Again"'s definitely a favourite.

I listened to other music in high school and now including Carly Simon and of course the Beatles, but my favourite to dance to is still New Wave music.

Anonymous said...

I am swooning that another human being mentioned Aztec Camera in casual conversation.

They were one of the highlights of my college life, along with They Might Be Giants.

...why should it take the tears of a woman to see how men are...