Wednesday, September 07, 2005

More outrage about Katrina & China & same sex marriage

Much of my news about Katrina comes from frumiousb who's an American Mawrter now living in Holland. Her post is locked due to content unrelated to Katrina.

I'm very outraged. We pay billions of dollars a year for troops and helicopters and ships. Why aren't they descending on NO to help our own people in their time of need?

An excellent series of lj posts from a nurse in a hospital in NO.
In one post, she asks for some clothing and towels and a pillow for herself. It's rather pathetic.

Bush appointed a weak manager to FEMA, because he was busy fighting wars and dealing with Homeland Security and now it's come to bite him hard with these series of awful headlines: FEMA sent fire crews...to hand out flyers, FEMA sent help only after the storm was over, Offers of aid have been held up in FEMA red tape

Or maybe he just lives in the same world as his mother: Barbara Bush Calls Evacuees Better Off

Or perhaps Bush just read these uplifting stories about heroes in NO in CounterPunch.org that I never heard of until Frumiousb linked to it.

Here's one I found from the BBC: Online gamers lend a hand

And keeping with my pledge to also report on international affairs, here's some outrage about China, Yahoo puts a Chinese dissident in jail

Last but certainly not least, Jed has an excellent post about the Same sex marriage act in California. If you're in California, please go here and follow his instructions.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We pay billions of dollars a year for troops and helicopters and ships. Why aren't they descending on NO to help our own people in their time of need?


Who are the looters again? Zero tolerance for which looter? Shoot whom on sight?

Anyway, you know, I'm actually shocked at the lack of response. I knew I was cynical, but scratch a cynic and you'll find a wounded idealist....but this was just beyond the pale.

I don't know why I was surprised after witnessing Falluja, etc. I guess its a form of nationalist, or perhaps racial blindness that causes me to think that those who murdered in Falluja would help in NO.

This is not anarchy. (see anarcho-syndicalism) This is a failure of the capitalist republic.

We have to stick together somehow, because we cannot leave such a world to K & T and all the children.

We must reign in the empire.

Bring me an Arundhati Roy speech and a glass of wine!