Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Little things I can't live without & long-term happiness

I made a special trip to Target today to get a little thing I now can't live without. It's a MAM pacifier keeper that attaches the pacifier to Little T's clothing. Why I can't I live without it? Well, I was woken up at 2am, because Little T couldn't get to his pacifier. It had migrated out of his reach. He can only roll once and not that far. Also he can only reach with one arm.

When I clipped the Keeper on him, he grinned hugely at me. I think he missed it too. He likes playing with the cord and being able to put the pacifier in his own mouth.

I bought 3 of them and another set of pacifiers. I don't even care that now I have to get rid of 12 things.

Here are some other little things I can't live without:

  • Tea
  • Milk for my tea
  • Straws - Try drinking tea while your hand jerks and you'll see why.
  • Diapers for the kids, not for me.
  • My Internet calendar to keep track of Little T's myriad apts
  • Fruit
But someone on a mailing list just asked what makes you happy in the long-term sense. Here's my list:
  • Having people to love and adore and who also love and adore me
  • Having friends who are trustworthy and dependable
  • Feeling useful and valued. Most of that comes from me, but I'm not
  • evolved enough not to need some external validation.
  • Intellectual challenge
  • Feeling free to express my whole self and pursue my passions
  • Finding something to laugh about everyday. One of the many things I love about C is that he laughs with me when I make jokes in crises. To me, my life is essentially funny.

None of the items on the first list are on the second list, though I am happier in a local sense if I get more sleep. And the MAM keeper helps me get more sleep.

What little things can't you live without and what makes you happy in a long-term sense? I found it an interesting exercise. I hope you do too.

No comments: